Sunday, June 24, 2007

ERASURE – Light at the End of the World

MUSIC Whoa OH Oh oh…Erasure has a mix of new songs that may be reminiscent of some of their older songs, which is not necessarily a bad thing. The new CD is being heavily debated on the message boards, but it’s sure to please long time fans as well as anyone looking to get their groove on. Andy Bell and Vince Clarke have kicked things back up from their last venture, the unplugged Union Street and The Road to Nashville, and get the electronic party started.
The boyz burst out of the gate with the first track, "Sunday Girl," showing they’re not slowing down for anyone, singing "we can dance till Sunday morning girl." I’m going to do my best to refrain from comparing the new songs to the old ones I’m reminded of, so I’ll dare you to try and stay seated while listening to this – especially during the Chorus.
Whoa OH Oh oh…The party is still going strong on the second track "I Could Fall in Love with You", which was the first single from Light at the End of the World. It has a rolling, thumping beat to accompany Andy belting out the title followed by the line "there are times when I would scream till I was blue." I would never say Andy screams but he definitely puts it out there.
Though the tune has a travelling rhythm, the subject in "Storm in a Teacup" deals with the alcoholism of Andy’s mother. It creates strong images and reminds me of Bronski Beat’s "Smalltown Boy" in that instead of leaving "in the morning with everything you own in a little black case," Andy is stealing "away like a thief in the night." This song and the syncopated "Darlene" create sentiments that should appeal to the Innocents. And any Cowboy would love the light and mid-tempo "Golden Heart."
Whoa OH Oh oh…"How My Eyes Adore You" – and my ears are overjoyed as LATEOTW sounds better with each successive play. (I can't get the Whoa oh's from this song out of my head!) Overall, it’s partytime – the music gets your body moving and the lyrics will make you want to sing out. Anyone new to the Circus of Erasure should get ready to join in the festivities and get Wild!

The Erasure Information website has lots of fun stuff, currently including a contest where you can download instrument & vocal loops for the song "When A Lover Leaves You" to create your own remix. If picked, it will be an official release. http://www.erasureinfo.com/garageband/