Friday, July 20, 2007

Mommie Dearest

FLICK From comedy to drama and Hollywood Royalty to Box Office Poison, Joan Crawford did it all. And so does Faye Dunaway playing Crawford in Mommie Dearest screening Saturday July 21, at 11:15PM at the Jamaican Jerk Hut as part of PIGLFF.

Though it’s been reported that Dunaway feels the film, based on Christina Crawford’s best-selling memoir, may have dismantled her career, she is no less than mesmerizing as the Oscar winner – from calm and reserved star to over-the-top maniac in kabuki-like makeup. The film tries to play it straight but veers out of control to become a camp classic. I get sucked in every time it’s on. But half the fun of watching the movie is repeating the memorable quotes. Listed below are my favorites. How many can you add? (1981, 129 minutes)


  • Joan (to the housekeeper, finding dirt under a planter): I’m not mad at you, I’m mad at the dirt!
  • Joan: Tear down that bitch of a bearing wall and put a window where it ought to be.
  • Joan: Don't fuck with me fellas. This ain't my first time at the rodeo.
  • Christina: There's a liquor store to the right. Joan: I should've known you'd know where to find the boys and the booze.
  • Christina: Yes, Mommie Dearest.
    Joan: When I asked you to call me that, I wanted you to mean it.
  • Joan: Tina! Bring me the axe!
  • Joan: Why can't you give me the respect that I'm entitled to? Why can't you treat me like I would be treated by any stranger on the street? Christina: Because I am NOT one of your fans.
  • Joan: No wire hangers, ever!
  • Christina (racing Joan in the swimming pool): It's not fair to win twice.
    Joan: Nobody ever said life was fair, Tina. I'm bigger and I'm faster. I will always beat you.
  • Joan (referring to a bloody steak on Christina’s plate): You haven't touched your lunch. Christina: It's raw. Joan: It's not raw, Tina, it’s rare.
  • Joan (on Oscar night): I would rather be here with you than anywhere else in the world. You, all of you here and everywhere, gave me this award tonight. And I accept it from you and only you. I love all of you. Now please forgive me, good night.