Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Björk & Scarlett Johansson on SNL

TELEVISION I’m usually just lured to dramatic programs, but since this past week was dramatic enough, I checked to see what was happening this week on SNL. And I’m glad I did. Hosted by Scarlett Johansson and featuring musical guest Björk, I had lots of laughs and saw two great musical performances.

Johansson shows a previously unseen (at least to me) comic range and really nailed several skits. Among them was the hilarious Regis and Kelly skit, where she impersonates Ivanka Trump. I tend to think of Ivanka as a softer side of her father, but Johansson accents her robotic nature and somehow never cracks up when describing her family vacation. And I could watch Amy Poehler as Kelly Ripa all day. It’s one of the funniest “characters” I’ve ever seen her portray. Johansson’s mother-daughter scene with Kenan Thompson at the dress store, verges on stereotype, but was done with perfect comic timing. Check them out at YouTube:

Regis and Kelly:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaC9UbaNn3I

Dress Store:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF8mUWjLliw

MUSIC But I was elated when I caught Björk sing her new song “Earth Intruders” from her new album Volta. The tribal drum sound is very cool and really accents what sounds to be an invasion! And I loved that shiny red/green dress! I need to get more details about the back-up singers/French horn players. (They reminded me of the Greenland Inuit choir she used when touring for her album Vespertine.) Check out her performances at YouTube: